Ceramic Testing & Analysis
Ceramics are everywhere, in our homes (tableware, tiles, bricks, sanitary ware) and in technologies of the future in industries as diverse as electronics, medical devices, and aerospace). At Lucideon we test materials and products across the traditional and technical ceramics industries for raw material assessment, product development and quality control as well as for product and material evaluation conformity, safety, legislative and environmental impact purposes and to ensure that products are fit for purpose.
We test at all stages of the product lifecycle from prototyping to during processing and in use.
Testing can be divided into:
- Chemical analyses from bulk composition to trace analyses down to parts per trillion
- Mineralogical and microstructural analyses for determination of crystal structure and phase determination at nanoscale. Doping and coating composition can be determined
- Surface analysis to look at staining, contamination, depth profiling, roughness and provide photos of topography
- Rheological assessment – determination of shear rates
- Porosity testing
- High temperature and thermomechanical tests.
- BS: EN specification for traditional ceramics, glassware, cookware etc. Electrical breakdown and capacitance testing up to Tera Ohm range.
We also offer determination of physical properties such as grading, density, porosity, strength, rheology, mechanical, electrical and thermal properties and microstructure to study product failure or defects, failure mechanisms, inclusions, grain size and bonding structures, surface analysis, degradation and contaminants.
Typical work involves the analysis and testing of tiles, tableware, construction products, sanitaryware, refractories, raw materials and advanced ceramics.
- Characterization of doped cell structures for electro ceramics
- Measurement of hard coating composition and structure e.g. carbides, nitrides on machine tools
- Characterization of hydroxy-apatite coatings on medical implant materials
- Thermal shock failure in tableware e.g product recalls
- ID of processing issues in sol-gel transition, forming and raw materials surfactant appraisal.
- Contamination assessment
- Corrosion products and corroded materials.
Lucideon is a Notified Body (NB 1289) under the Construction Products Regulation (EU) 305/2011 for the assessment and verification of construction products. Lucideon maintains impartial procedures for all work performed as a Notified Body to safeguard its independence.