Microstructural Analysis Services
At Lucideon, we have a highly experienced and sophisticated microstructural facility. Most of the work is accredited under UKAS ISO 17025:2017 (UKAS-accredited testing laboratory No. 0013). Microstructural analysis is used widely in industry to evaluate products and materials.
Performance, response to environment, and failure mechanisms are just some of the areas in which microstructural analysis can be utilised to assess and develop products.
Microstructural evaluation ranges from simple determination of certain parameters, such as grain size or coating thickness, through porosity and pore structure, to full characterisation of multi-component systems or evaluation of degradation or failure mechanisms.
A combination of techniques is used to provide both physical and chemical information, with sub-micron resolution.
Our wealth of expertise in materials can be accessed to solve problems with typical applications including:
- grain size measurement
- identification of inclusions and specks
- porosity and bonding evaluation
- refractory attack mechanisms
- surface deposits and coatings
- development of interfaces on reaction
- unknown particles or materials identification
- evaluation of material processing
- performance evaluation and variability
- failure mechanisms and crack development
- evaluation of loci of failure
Analyses are often complementary to other methods such as physical, mineralogical, and chemical techniques.
We helped our client with discolouration issues after hot isostatic pressing
Lucideon's additive manufacturing expertise helped identify root cause of product failure