Power Generation Materials & Components - Failure Analysis
Failure analysis of power generation components, materials, and turbines is crucial, both for safety and efficiency reasons. We perform failure investigations on materials ranging from concrete in-base support systems to gearbox and complete generator failure, to support OEMs, owners, operators, and insurance companies.
Our materials and process experts can identify the root cause of failures of both materials and processes, and suggest remedial action so they can be avoided in future.
Examples of the materials failure analysis work we carry out include:
- Turbine blade failure analysis, and all turbine hardware
- Coating system adhesion failure analysis on turbine blades
- Corrosion and wear-related failure analysis of seal rings in an electric utility generator
- Root cause investigation of deposit build-up on process equipment
- Trip failure analysis in electrical relays
- Failure evaluation of crevice corrosion in generator stator bar brazed joints, leak path and insulation failure investigations.
- Total power generator failure investigations
- Petrographic analysis of deteriorated concrete support systems
Failures in service
Lucideon will provide independent failure investigation services that include materials testing governed by rigorous quality management system requirements.
- UKAS, ISO 17025
- 10CFR50 Appendix B (nuclear)
- Nadcap (aerospace & defence)
- GE S-400
We can conduct site visits to examine the failure in its environment and provide advice on appropriate sample collection techniques and photographic documentation of evidence.
Our range of analytical techniques ranging from visual inspection and photo documentation through microstructural and micro-chemical analysis are applied to investigate failures of all types.
- Specimen extraction through sectioning & wire EDM
- In-house CNC machine shop
- Chemical analysis
- Contamination and generator debris analysis and identification
- Metallographic preparation
- Metallurgical evaluation
- Image analysis / microscopy
- SEM-EDS / electron microprobe
- Advanced surface analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Thermal analysis
- Electrical testing
- Expert witness services