Advanced Ceramics - Grain Size - Test Method - BS EN 623-3:2001
Advanced technical ceramics - Monolithic ceramics - General and textural properties - Part 3: Determination of grain size and size distribution (characterised by the linear intercept method).
Measurement of grain size within advanced ceramics using a linear intercept method. The grain structure is revealed by polishing and etching as appropriate for the material of interest.
Applications and Benefits
Quantitative measurement of grain size within dense uniform structures.
Form of Results
Determination of the mean linear intercept for each line on each image taken along with overall average values.
- ISO 13356 Yttria stabilised zirconia for surgical implants
- ISO 14754 Density and Porosity
- Flexural Strength
- Fracture Toughness
- Phase proportions by microscopy and XRD
- Microstructural evaluation
Similar tests for other applications
- ASTM E112-96 Method for determination of average grain size.