L4 - Drying
May 2024 (date to be confirmed), Lucideon HQ, Staffordshire
Careful control of clay bodies during the drying process is essential for preventing items cracking when releasing moulds and removing moisture.
The practical session will include measurement of temperature and humidity, and a determination of the drying rate of a clay body in different conditions of temperature, humidity, and air flow.
The module describes:
- The drying mechanism
- Determining the safe rate of drying
- The principles of humidity drying
- Different types of dryers and dryer operation (case study)
- Best practice guidance for the drying of tableware items
- The principles of drying plaster moulds
At the end of the module, you will be able to understand:
- The principles of the drying process
- How to control the drying process
- Drying of ceramic tableware items best practice
- Drying plaster moulds best practice
- Maintenance and energy saving best practice.