L2 - Materials Selection
eLearning Course - Coming Soon
The raw materials selected for a body formulation should ensure that the end product has the desired appearance and required performance properties.
This course describes the properties and characteristics of the raw materials from which tableware is manufactured, the extraction and refining process, the proportions used in the body recipes of the different tableware types, and the effect of raw materials on unfired and fired properties.
The training includes:
- examining different raw materials in unrefined and refined states
- preparing plastic bodies from different proportions of raw materials
- the effect of materials on unfired and fired properties (e.g. contraction, colour, etc.)
At the end of the course, you will be able to understand:
- different raw materials and their properties
- what is achieved by processing raw materials
- how raw materials influence the properties of pottery bodies