Refractory Materials Testing
As a UKAS ISO 17025:2005 accredited testing laboratory (No. 0013), Lucideon provides a comprehensive refractories testing service to both national standards (BS, ASTM), international standards (ISO) and our own in-house, UKAS-accredited standards.
We offer a wide range of physical, chemical, mineralogical and thermomechanical testing for:
- Quality control
- Quality assurance
- Failure analysis
- Tendering support
- Creation of datasheets
- Mathematical modelling.
We can inspect and sample refractory materials onsite or before shipment to ensure materials are suitable for use and to avoid costly delays.
Examples of Tests Performed
Listed below is a selection of the tests and the industry-specific testing suites available - the list is by no means exhaustive; please discuss your requirements with our technical sales staff:
- Modulus of elasticity, rigidity and Poisson’s ratio
- Hydrogen diffusivity
- Abrasion resistance
- Density and porosity
- Pyrometric Cone Equivalent (PCE)
- Particle Size Determination (PSD)
- Cold crushing strength
- Modulus of rupture
- XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction).
- Compressive stress / strain up to 1550°C
- Flexural stress / strain up to 1550°C
- Thermal conductivity
- Thermal shock resistance
- Creep in compression up to 1550°C
- Work of fracture
- Thermal expansion up to 1600°C
- Specific Heat
- Refractoriness under Load (RUL)
- Permanent Linear Change (PLC).
- Thermal profiling and heat loss of complex shaped components and structures
- Improved design of components such as linings and anchor systems
- Prediction of in service stress distributions and potential overloads before scale up
- Prediction of material performance in various applications under a range of operating conditions.
- Optical microscopy
- SEM / EDA (Scanning Electron Microscopy / Energy Dispersive Analysis).
We also offer consultancy to help you optimize product and process performance and solve failures.
Our principal refractories specialist and consultant, Jan Theron, was the President of the Institute of Refractory Engineers from 2017 to 2019.