Refractory Materials Testing
As a UKAS ISO 17025:2005 accredited testing laboratory (No. 0013), Lucideon provides a comprehensive refractories testing service to both national (BS, ASTM), international standards (ISO) and our own in-house, UKAS-accredited standards. We offer a wide range of physical, chemical, mineralogical and thermomechanical testing for:
- Quality control
- Quality assurance
- Failure analysis
- Tendering support
- Creation of datasheets
- Mathematical modelling.
We can inspect and sample refractory materials onsite or before shipment to ensure materials are suitable for use and to avoid costly delays.
Listed below is a selection of the tests and the industry-specific testing suites available - the list is by no means exhaustive; please discuss your requirements with our technical sales staff:
- Modulus of elasticity, rigidity and Poisson’s ratio
- Hydrogen diffusivity
- Abrasion resistance
- Density and porosity
- Pyrometric Cone Equivalent (PCE)
- Particle Size Determination (PSD)
- Cold crushing strength
- Modulus of rupture
- XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction).
- Compressive stress / strain up to 1550°C
- Flexural stress / strain up to 1550°C
- Thermal conductivity
- Thermal shock resistance
- Creep in compression up to 1550°C
- Work of fracture
- Thermal expansion up to 1600°C
- Specific Heat
- Refractoriness under Load (RUL)
- Permanent Linear Change (PLC).
- Thermal profiling and heat loss of complex shaped components and structures
- Improved design of components such as linings and anchor systems
- Prediction of in service stress distributions and potential overloads before scale up
- Prediction of material performance in various applications under a range of operating conditions.
- Optical microscopy
- SEM / EDA (Scanning Electron Microscopy / Energy Dispersive Analysis).
We also offer consultancy to help you optimize product and process performance and solve failures. Find out more here.
Our experts hold a position as a member of the Institute of Refractory Engineers.