At Lucideon, we have a highly experienced and sophisticated microstructural facility. Most of the work is accredited under UKAS ISO 17025:2005 (UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 0013). Microstructural analysis is used widely in industry to evaluate products and materials.
Performance, response to environment and failure mechanisms are just some of the areas in which microstructural analysis can be utilised to assess and develop products.
Microstructural evaluation ranges from simple determination of certain parameters such as grain size or coating thickness through porosity and pore structure to full characterization of multi-component systems or evaluation of degradation or failure mechanisms.
A combination of techniques are used to provide both physical and chemical information, with sub-micron resolution.
- SEM/EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive Analysis)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction)
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Analysis)
- WLI (White Light Interferometry)
- Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) Surface Area Analysis and Barrett-Joiner-Halenda (BJH) Pore Size and Volume Analysis
- Rheology and Viscosity Measurements
- High Temperature Testing
- Thermomechanical Testing
- Zeta Potential Measurements
- Pore Size Distribution by Mercury Intrusion Porosimetry
- Metallography - including Electron Probe Micro-Analysis (EPMA)
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy)
- Hardness Testing
- Physical Testing
Our wealth of expertise in materials can be accessed to solve problems with typical applications including:
- Grain size measurement
- Identification of inclusions and specks
- Porosity and bonding evaluation
- Refractory attack mechanisms
- Surface deposits and coatings
- Development of interfaces on reaction
- Unknown particles or materials identification
- Evaluation of material processing
- Performance evaluation and variability
- Failure mechanisms and crack development
- Evaluation of loci of failure.
Analyses are often complimentary to other methods such as physical, mineralogical and chemical techniques.