Power Generation Materials, Generator Components & Turbines Failure Analysis
Failure analysis of power generation components, materials and turbines is crucial, both for safety and efficiency reasons.
Our materials and process experts can identify the root cause of failures, whether they be material or process related and suggest remedial action so they can be avoided in future.
Examples of the materials and components failure analysis work we carry out in the power generation industry includes:
- Turbine blade failure analysis, and all turbine hardware
- Coating system adhesion failure analysis on turbine blades
- Corrosion and wear-related failure analysis of seal rings in an electric utility generator
- Root cause investigation of deposit build-up on process equipment
- Trip failure analysis in electrical relays
- Failure evaluation of crevice corrosion in generator stator bar brazed joints, leak path and insulation failure investigations.
- Total power generator failure investigations
- Petrographic analysis of deteriorated concrete support systems
Turbine and Generator Failure Investigations
The root cause of any failure needs to be found quickly and remedial actions put into place as soon as possible. We investigate the root cause of your generator, gas or steam turbine failure. Expert witness testimony is available to support insurance and litigation requirements.
Components Failure Analysis
Our failure analysis experts can analyse failures in metallic and non-metallic components, looking at problems such as wear, erosion, corrosion, fatigue, coating system failures, impact, and improper surface treatments.
Stator Bar Insulation Systems Failures
Failures in stator bar insulation systems can lead to generator failures. We'll carry out investigations of the root cause of failure, providing independent data, reliable analysis and recommended actions.
Failures in Service
Lucideon provides independent failure investigation services that include materials testing governed by the rigorous quality management system requirements of UKAS, ISO 17025, 10CFR50 Appendix B (nuclear), Nadcap (aerospace & defense), and GE S-400. Find out more about our accreditations here
We can conduct site visits to examine the failure in its environment and provide advice on appropriate sample collection techniques and photographic documentation of evidence.
Examples of Analytical Capabilities
Analytical techniques ranging from visual inspection and photo documentation through microstructural and micro-chemical analysis are applied to investigate failures of all types.
- Specimen extraction through sectioning & wire EDM
- In-house CNC machine shop
- Chemical analysis
- Contamination and generator debris analysis and identification
- Metallographic preparation
- Metallurgical evaluation
- Image analysis / microscopy
- SEM-EDS / electron microprobe
- Advanced surface analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Thermal analysis
- Electrical testing
- Expert witness services