Abuse Deterrent Technology
iCRT-deter is Lucideon’s patent-pending, oral drug delivery platform technology that provides abuse deterrent controlled release properties.
» Our article published in ONdrugDelivery, 'The Prescription Abuse Epidemic: Designing a Solution', can be downloaded via the Resources panel on the right.
Products that use iCRT-deter retain their controlled-release properties during conventional tampering methods such as chewing, crushing and heating, unlike many other tamper resistant techniques.
Key abuse deterrent features include:
- Extremely hard structure that is very difficult to crush without specialist grinding
- Particulate technology that allows individual particles to retain their properties even if crushed from a tablet
- Extremely high melting point (1000°C+) to deter injection, as melting the carrier will destroy the drug
- Low solubility and large particle sizes unsuitable for injection through suspension
- Equal or significantly reduced drug dissolution in alcoholic media and other household solvents.
iCRT-deter technology incorporates active molecules within the nanoporous matrix. A coating can also be added to the formulated product to add extra protection and increase the control over release rates. Aversive agents can also be added if the coating is broken to aid abuse deterrence. These include:
- Unpleasant tastes to deter oral consumption after the tablet is broken
- Waxy additives to stick together crushed powder, making nasal inhalation difficult
- Color leaching in liquids, to deter spiking of drinks.
Two approaches to iCRT-deter technology. Depending on the drug’s characteristics, an additional selectively-soluble coating may be applied to the porous carrier, left, or not, right.
Lucideon is interested in developing iCRT-deter with pharmaceutical industry partners for certain compounds. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your company’s interest and needs for a new abuse-deterrent technology, and to share more information about iCRT-deter or the broader iCRT platform. Please contact Gemma Budd, Healthcare Business Manager, email@example.com