Rolling Load Testing of Flooring Performance
Rolling load floor testing based on the Robinson-Type Floor Testing machine, predicts the performance of a laid floor’s surface and/or system under simulated rolling loads to ASTM C627. The test was initially designed for tiles, however the Robinson Floor Test can be applied to most hard-surface flooring, e.g. wood, marble, stone, slate, laminate, vinyl, rubber, etc.
Using our Robinson-Type Floor Testing machine, we are able to conduct on-site or laboratory testing, which:
- enables newly laid flooring surfaces to be assessed for durability to the required level
- exposes installation or material manufacturing faults
- can be applied to problematic flooring surfaces to ascertain if the necessitated performance is being realised.
Rolling load floor testing benefits include:
- reliable results from the only standardised method of measuring flooring surface/system performance
- differentiation of performance over un-tested competitors’ products
- endorsed product specification modifications - potential retrospective financial savings if specification adjustments are subsequently unsuitable.
Testing involves a three-wheeled rig rotating at a set speed, for a specified duration with differing loads and wheel types. A total of 14 schedules can be performed, as per the table below.
|Cycle||Wheel Type||Weight (kg)||Duration (h)||Revolutions Per Cycle|
The incremental completion of cycles without failure grades the tested flooring surface and/or system into one of five different service levels:
- Completion of 1 to 3 cycles: ‘Residential’ – e.g. kitchens, bathrooms and hallways
- Completion of 1 to 6 cycles: ‘Light Commercial’ – e.g. office space, reception areas, kitchens and bathrooms
- Completion of 1 to 10 cycles: ‘Moderate Commercial’ – e.g. restaurants and schools
- Completion of 1 to 12 cycles: ‘Heavy Commercial’ – e.g. shopping centres, supermarkets, airports, hospitals, commercial kitchens and car showrooms
- Completion of 1 to 14 cycles: ‘Extra Heavy Commercial’ – e.g. factories
For further information, please contact:
Lisa Cobden, Technical Consultant
+44 (0)1782 764313