Machining & Wire EDM
Utilize Lucideon's state-of-the-art machine shop for sectioning and proper preparation of specimens and test fixtures.
Our machine shop features the latest in CNC equipment, enabling us to tightly control the quality of each test specimen and fixture we produce.
We prepare specimens for testing from a wide variety of metallic and non-metallic materials including metals, polymers, composites, ceramics and concrete and extract specimens for further examination to support material and product development, first-piece and lot qualification testing, and failure investigations.
We routinely cut up and prepare samples for chemical, thermal, metallurgical, mechanical, microstructural, electrical and petrographic analysis to evaluate items including:
- Turbine hardware
- Stator bars
- Interconnects and multi-layered specialty materials
- Glass seals
- Support and housing components for fuel cells and energy storage units
- Concrete containment systems
- Motor rewind materials
- Blow Out Preventers (BOPs)
- Pump impellers
- Motor components
- Concrete support systems
- Generator components.
Specimens and fixturing are manufactured for standard test methods, OEM specifications and non-routine testing to support client-specific needs, such as material substitution qualifications, specification testing, and research and development. In addition, this capability allows us to accelerate turnaround time and meet the demanding schedules of our clients.
Our specific capabilities include:
- Wire EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining)
- Liquid-cooled abrasive and bandsaw cutting
- Precision slow speed diamond saws
- Surface grinding
- Precision CNC machining of test specimens (i.e. flat/round tensile, CT specimens)
- Dimensional inspection of all machined specimens
- Sample prep and polishing
- Design and manufacture of customer-specific test fixtures.