You are here: Home » Energy » Nuclear » Glass / Waste Analysis
Glass / Waste Analysis
Understanding your materials helps you to understand your processes and how these can be optimized. Our team of experts provides a wide range of services including:
Material Validation and Certification
QA / QC for highly specified materials in the nuclear industry, for users and suppliers, including chemical, physical, metallurgical, surface and structural analysis, on a wide range of materials including:
- Glass frit for waste encapsulation
- Cementitious materials for encapsulation
- Simulated waste and leachates
- Large-scale load bearing materials.
Material Performance and Characterization
Physical properties of materials, including synthetic encapsulated waste. To determine thermal and mechanical properties of materials to enable a better understanding of material performance. A wide range of capabilities with applications including:
- Modulus of elasticity, pre and post neutron exposure
- Impact, tensile and crushing strength
- Thermal conductivity and encapsulation.
Evaluation to Support Waste Encapsulation Trials
Robust data to support the studies on the structure and stability of waste encapsulation. Types of data include:
- Bulk chemistry, including trace metals, rare earth elements, and platinoids
- Encapsulated mineralogy – quantification of phases, cell parameters and leachate studies
- Microstructural information including; morphology, grain size, chemistry and elemental distributions
- Production-scale demonstrations.
Waste Stream Separation and Encapsulation Validation
An understanding of the processes in separating and encapsulating a range of waste streams. Services include:
- Developing specific separation and encapsulation technologies
- Plant and process design from concept to operation
- Mass balance of components on separation
- Comprehensive range of analytical capabilities and breadth of skills to maximize the data recovery.