Our materials expertise, cross-industry and process knowledge, and wide array of imaging and analytical capabilities are applied to investigate failures at all stages of the product life cycle.
We will find the root cause of failures, whether they be material or process related and suggest remedial action so they can be avoided in future.
Examples of our work include:
- Corrosion and wear-related failure of seal rings in an electric utility generator
- Root cause of pump impeller damage
- High failure rate in o-rings submitted for commercial-grade dedication
- Identification of debris in process equipment
- Trip failure in electrical relays
- Root cause of motor failures
- Petrographic analysis of deteriorated concrete support systems.
Research & Development / Quality Control
Analyzing failures during the research and development stage, or during quality control testing, provides fundamental understanding of the material properties required for your specific application and environment, expediting the design phase and supplier quality validations.
Manufacturing – Optimization & Troubleshooting
Determining the root causes for variations in production can be utilized to determine processing windows, create stricter material specifications, and reduce creation of faulty parts.
Failures in Service
Lucideon provides independent failure investigation services that include materials testing governed by the rigorous quality management system requirements of UKAS, ISO 17025, 10CFR50 Appendix B (nuclear), Nadcap (aerospace & defense), and GE S-400. Find out more about our accreditations here.
We can conduct site visits to examine the failure in its environment and provide advice on appropriate sample collection techniques and photographic documentation of evidence.
Examples of Analytical Capabilities
Analytical techniques ranging from visual inspection and photo documentation through microstructural and microchemical analysis are applied to investigate failures of all types.
- Specimen extraction through sectioning & wire EDM
- In-house CNC machine shop
- Chemical analysis
- Contamination and debris identification
- Metallographic preparation
- Metallurgical evaluation
- Image analysis/microscopy
- SEM-EDS/electron microprobe
- Advanced surface analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Thermal analysis
- Electrical testing
- Expert witness services.