Materials and Products
Interpreting the story told by a failed material or product requires a disciplined and methodical analytical approach, combined with an understanding of materials science and engineering. We are renowned for using both state-of-the-art analytical techniques and our special strength in the systematic examination of evidence to determine the root cause of failures in metallic and non-metallic materials.
We offer complete physical, chemical and surface analysis capabilities for analyzing failures in metallic and non-metallic materials.
- Specimen extraction & wire EDM
- In-house CNC machine shop
- Chemical analysis
- Metallographic preparation
- Metallurgical evaluation
- Image analysis/microscopy
- SEM-EDS/electron microprobe
- Advanced surface analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Thermal analysis
- Electrical testing
- Expert witness services.
Expertise in Materials
Our expertise in materials, failure analysis and root cause investigation encompasses analysis of corrosion, erosion, wear, fatigue, heat treatment, castings, coatings and surface treatments, powder metallurgy, fractures, welding, brazing, component design, and the analysis of contamination and adhesion issues.
- Vane cracking in an impeller assembly for aerospace applications
- Weld failure leading to highway bridge collapse during construction
- Bolt failure in a chemical mixer assembly
- Trip failure in electrical relays used in nuclear power plants
- Staining on dental instruments
- Coating adhesion failure on titanium alloy components
- Corrosion and wear-related failure of seal rings in an electric utility generator
- Root cause of deposit build-up on process equipment.