L6 - Plaster Moulds
Wednesday 10 April 2019 - 1 day course
It is impossible to produce saleable items from plaster moulds if the moulds are in any way faulty.
This module describes:
- How plaster is produced from gypsum rock
- The storage and ageing of plaster
- Measuring the properties of plaster
- The plaster water blending process
- The physical effects of early and late poured plaster
- Vacuum blending
- Mould drying
- Measuring mould properties
- Mould making best practice tips
- The effect of mould properties on ware quality (case studies).
The practical session will include:
- Making specimen moulds at various pouring times and plaster to water ratios
- The use of the mould permeability apparatus
- A demonstration of plaster tests
- Mould faults (case studies).
At the end of the module, you will be able to understand:
- The basics of how gypsum is processed to make plaster
- The ageing process
- Best practice for making mould
- Best practice for drying mould
- Solving common mould faults
- Solving common ware faults that arise from plaster mould issues.
For more information on this course, please contact Caroline Mullington, Technology Partnership Manager on +44 (0)1782 764422 or firstname.lastname@example.org.