L5 - Kiln Firing
Wednesday 25 March 2020 - 1 day course
All saleable items must pass successfully through the firing processes.
This module describes:
- The reactions which take place in a clay, quartz and feldspar body during the firing process
- Changes to bodies which occur during firing
- The firing curve and the key control points
- Use of pyrometers to measure heat work
- Features of the different types of kiln
- Kiln atmosphere
- Kiln pressure
- Use of thermocouples
- Investigating firing problems
- Maintenance and energy saving.
The practical session will include:
- The use of a pyrometer (Bullers Rings)
- Gradient firing trials
- The use of thermocouples
- A fault solving exercise.
At the end of the module, you will be able to understand:
- The principles of the firing process
- How to control the firing process
- The firing of ceramic tableware items best practice
- Maintenance and energy saving best practice.
For more information on this course, please contact Caroline Mullington, Technology Partnership Manager on +44 (0)1782 764422 or email@example.com.