L3 - The Basics of Slip Casting
Wednesday 19 February 2020 - 1 day course
With the use of simple viscometers and slip density measurement, control of casting slip and cast properties is achieved in order to produce high quality, consistent large complex shaped items and handles.
The module explains:
- Measurement and adjustment of a slip to a required density
- Set up and operation of the Torsion and Brookfield Viscometers
- Use viscometers to monitor flocculant and deflocculant additions
- Adjusting a casting slip to the required fluid properties
- How the casting process works
- How deflocculants affect the casting process
- Casting faults and how to correct them.
The practical sessions will allow each participant to carry out and investigate the above activities.
At the end of the module, you will be able to:
- Measure and adjust slip density
- Set up and take fluidity/viscosity and thixotropy measurements using the Torsion and Brookfield Viscometers
- Correct the fluid properties of a slip
- Understand the basis of the slip casting process
- Understand how deflocculant additions alter casting properties
- Identify the causes of the common cast faults and eliminate them.
For more information on this course, please contact Caroline Mullington, Technology Partnership Manager on +44 (0)1782 764422 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration has now closed for this course
Andrew Perry, ceramic processes leader at Lucideon, explains casting in its simplest form, in under 2 minutes!
Check out our video below and find out how Lucideon can partner with you to optimize performance and production yields.