L2 - Materials Selection
Wednesday 2 February
The raw materials selected for a body formulation should ensure that the end product has the desired appearance and required performance properties.
This module describes:
- The properties and characteristics of the raw materials from which tableware is manufactured
- Extraction and refining processes
- Proportions used in the body recipes of the different tableware types
- The effect of raw materials on unfired and fired properties.
The practical session will include:
- Examining different raw materials in unrefined and refined states
- Preparing plastic bodies from different proportions of raw materials
- Demonstrating the effect of materials on unfired and fired properties (e.g. contraction, colour, etc.) using prepared samples of different body formulations.
At the end of the module, you will be able to understand:
- Different raw materials and their properties
- What is achieved by processing raw materials
- How raw materials influence the properties of pottery bodies.
For more information on this course, please contact Caroline Mullington, Technology Partnership Manager on +44 (0)1782 764422 or email@example.com.