Failure Analysis - Advanced & Technical Ceramics
At Lucideon we perform both extensive testing to predict and reduce failure risks in application and root cause identification analysis of failures in technical ceramics if they occur in use. With over 100 years' experience in ceramics, and with cross-industry knowledge, you can trust our experts to help you solve both your short-term and long-term challenges.
Thanks to their properties such as hardness, physical stability and heat resistance, technical ceramics perform well in applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, healthcare, electronics, semiconductors and power generation.
Failures in advanced ceramics can occur though. If this happens during manufacture, then downtime, reduced yields and increased costs may be the result. That's why testing and analysis while products, and processes, are in development is so important. By working with us you can eliminate sources of possible failure before they happen.
While the root cause of failures, both during manufacture and in use, can often be traced back to the powders or materials you are using, some can also be down to your technical ceramics processing steps, from milling and drying through to forming and sintering. Our team of process engineers can analyze your production process, identifying where failures are being caused, and suggest remedial actions so that they don’t happen again.
Our failure analysis and root cause investigation services for technical ceramics include:
- Fracture, fatigue and rupture diagnosis and microstructure investigation
- Powder processing investigation
- Characterization of surfaces and coatings
- Identification and root cause of contamination
- Evaluation of process issues and process optimization
- Chemical, physical, mineralogical and thermal analysis
- Accelerated performance testing to predict failures
- 3D-Strain – digital imaging technologies to characterize strains during testing.
For the manufacture of technical ceramics products we can provide an analysis, process audit, diagnosis and remediation service to ensure similar faults do not occur again in the future.