Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation
Lucideon Assurance is an established aviation verifier under EUETS with over 300 airlines. We are now developing our systems to service our clients as they transition into the CORSIA scheme.
How Does Corsia Work?
ICAO has agreed that the Global Market Based Measure (GMBM) will be a Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) rather than a cap and trade system like EU ETS. This scheme will therefore require the airlines to offset some of their emissions but not necessarily reduce their own emissions.
A Phased-in Implementation
ICAO has decided on a phase-in implementation to accommodate special circumstances and respective capabilities (SCRC) of contracting States. The scheme will be voluntary at the beginning, followed by participation of all States except the exempted States.
- Pilot phase (2021-2023) and First phase (2024-2026) applies to States that have volunteered to participate
- Second phase (2027-2035) applies to all States except the exempted States unless they volunteer to participate.
Reporting and Verification Timeline:
- Emissions monitoring plan to be submitted to the respective state by Sept 2018
- 1st January 2019: Monitor 2019 CO2 emissions from international flights in accordance with the Emissions Monitoring Plan
- By 31st May 2020: Submit the verified 2019 Emissions Report and associated Verification Report to the respective State.
- The template of an Emissions Monitoring Plan will be provided in Appendix 1 of the Environmental Technical Manual (Doc 9501), Volume IV
- Procedures for demonstrating compliance with the CORSIA are currently under development.
- A verification body shall conduct the verification according to ISO 14064-3:2006
- A verification body shall be accredited to ISO 14065:2013 by a national accreditation body, in order to be eligible to verify the Emissions Report of the aeroplane operator
- The aeroplane operator shall engage a verification body for the verification of its Emissions Unit Cancellation Report – the first deadline is 30th April 2025 for the 2021-2023 period.
A 100% Sectoral Rate
The formula includes dynamic approach for the distribution of the offsetting requirements. The "sectoral rate" represents the international aviation sector's global average growth factor of emissions in a given year, while the "individual rate" represents an individual operator's growth factor of emissions in a given year. The sectoral approach favours fast-growing airlines in emerging markets over mature, slower-growth airlines, but does not reward individual airline environmental performance. Airlines who take steps to decrease their own emissions in comparison to the baseline average will then be able to profit from individual rates.
The sectoral and individual rates will move as follows:
- 2021-2029 – 100% sectoral rate and 0% individual rate
- 2030-2032 – at least 20% of individual rate
- 2033-2035 – at least 70% of individual rate.
The resolution also establishes a three-year review of the effectiveness and ambition of the scheme.
ICAOs CORSIA News
On June 28, 2018, ICAO has adopted the CORSIA Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) as a new Volume IV to Annex 16 of the Chicago Convention. The MRV system should be implemented by States from 1st January 2019. Aeroplane operators worldwide that operate international flights are requested to submit their CORSIA Monitoring Plan by 30 September 2018 / 28 February 2019 (recommended / mandatory deadline) to their focal points appointed by the States. The list of CORSIA focal points is yet to be published. Recently, ICAO has released the first set of documents on its CORSIA website. These documents include the adopted SARPs, Environmental Technical Manual, Monitoring Plan and reporting templates and the first version of the CO2 Estimation and Reporting Tool (CERT).
Read more about ICAOs CORSIA
- Read more about ICAOs CORSIA
- SARPs – Annex 16 Volume IV
- Environmental Technical Manual – Volume IV
- Template of Emissions Monitoring Plan (from aeroplane operator to State)
- Template of Emissions Report (from aeroplane operator to State)
- Template of CORSIA eligible fuels supplementary information to the Emissions Report (from aeroplane operator to State)
- Technical details on the development and use of the ICAO CORSIA CERT
Lucideon & Corsia
Lucideon Assurance is closely following the updated information on CORSIA and also EU ETS in regards to the 39th Assembly outcome, and is available to support airlines on their way towards their first CORSIA verification.