From our position as the UK's leading GHG verifier, we are now using the same expert verifiers and rigorous auditing principles used in the regulated market (EU ETS) to verify carbon footprints and GHG inventories for those companies who wish to voluntarily declare their emissions.
As part of their GHG reduction strategy, many organizations are setting Science Based Targets. Businesses can ensure they are playing their part in the global effort to limit global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius by setting a science based target. The Science Based Target Initiative (SBTI) is a collaboration between CDP, World Resources Institute (WRI), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and the United Nations Global Compact.
What is a Carbon Footprint?
A carbon footprint is the total greenhouse gas emissions caused directly and indirectly by your business and can be made up of some or all of the following:
- direct activities (fuels burnt, transport, fugitive emissions, process emissions).
- indirect activities (eg. electricity, imported heat and steam)
- value chain (purchased goods and services, leasing, business travel, distribution, consumer use, disposal, etc.)
Why perform a Carbon Footprint?
- it can form part of an overall CR (Corporate Responsibility) or Sustainability/Environmental Strategy
- it provides an excellent way of managing carbon emissions and energy use, helping you to reduce costs and limit your environmental impact
- it signifies to shareholders, clients, NGOs, the general public and the media that your business is committed to being a responsible company in a sustainable world
- it helps you to prepare and be ready, should mandatory reporting come into force for your area of business
- a verified carbon footprint provides the backbone for carbon offset schemes, which in turn provide a route to "Carbon Net Zero" status
- as people look to be part of socially responsible organizations, it provides an excellent way of engaging, retaining and attracting staff
Why have your Carbon Footprint independently verified?
Independent carbon footprint verification gives you the assurance that your carbon footprint data are accurate and consistent. Furthermore, being able to demonstrate that your carbon footprint has been independently verified satisfies your stakeholders' demands for accuracy, validity, materiality and transparency. Independent carbon footprint assurance is a key discriminator of real commitment and action, giving both your business and your carbon footprint credibility, thereby enhancing your market position.
What standards and protocols are used for Carbon Footprinting?
Lucideon verifies against the international verification standard ISO14064-3.
Reporters normally compile inventories according to The GHG Protocol (WRI/WBCSD) or ISO14064-1