ISO 45001 - Progress Update
OHSAS 18001:2007 has now been superseded by ISO 45001:2018
The standard provides a framework to enable businesses to implement effective arrangements for managing occupational health and safety (OH&S). It has been developed by a committee of occupational health and safety experts, and will follow other generic management system approaches such as ISO 14001 and ISO 9001.
For clients who hold existing OHSAS 18001 certificates, there is a transition period of 3 years.
Here are five things to start considering in preparation for the transition:
- Secure ‘top management’ commitment to ISO 45001 and their involvement in actively leading on it.
- Review your current OSH arrangements against the ISO 45001 requirements to identify any gaps.
- Develop an implementation and resources plan to close the identified gaps.
- Ensure effective mechanisms for change management and worker consultation and participation.
- Take steps to address any OSH competence and resource needs across the organisation.