Surface Analysis & Problem Solving for the Space Industry
Even the largest problems may come down to something as small as a trace element or nanoscale feature. Lucideon's world-leading surface analysis capabilities and industry experience allow us to approach problem solving from many angles to ensure that your issue is resolved on a timeline that meets your needs.
We specialize in surface, near surface and interface analysis, using a wide range of techniques to:
- Solve failures (contamination, adhesion, wear, lubrication)
- Optimize new product development
- Support quality control systems
- Validate new products and processes
- Support product claims.
Direct surface analysis reveals exactly what is on the sample surface, what it looks like, where it is, and how any residual compounds / surface treatments interact with or affect other properties of the base material (chemically & physically).
Let our team be an extension of your internal capabilities in order to provide solutions.
Here are just a few areas where our surface science team can provide answers to your questions:
- Coating characterization - uniformity, dispersion of API, composition, roughness
- 3D imaging of surface
- Surface finish, defect analysis, wear patterns
- Surface characterization - assessing the effect of treatments such as acids, lubricants, and wear
- Depth profiling - understanding the penetration of a chemical or treatment into a material
- Interface analysis - adhesion / interaction of a coating or laminate, and possible cause of failure
- Identifying and mapping of trace elements - identification and distribution of contaminant, corrosion products
- Porosity / void identification - possible cause of leakages in a material, or fracture initiation points
- Validation of cleaning processes - identification and quantification of detergents, lubricants and trace elements.
Surface Analysis Techniques
- XPS (X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
- Dynamic SIMS (Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- ToF-SIMS (Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- WLI (White Light Interferometry)
- SEM/EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive Analysis)
- 3DSEM (Three Dimensional Scanning Electron Microscopy)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction)
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Analysis)
- AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy)
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy)
- Raman Spectroscopy.