Surface Analysis & Problem Solving for Aircraft OEMs
Many component failures originate at the surface. Contamination, corrosion and scratches (even at a microscopic level) are just a few of examples of the can lead to catastrophic failure when components are embodied in aircraft, engines or propellers. Lucideon has the technology and techniques to complement our industry experience to accurately identify a multitude of surface conditions that may be the source of your company’s issues. Many of which you may familiar with the topic or modes, but may not have the intimate knowledge that Lucideon has.
We specialize in surface, near surface and interface analysis, using a wide range of techniques to:
- Solve failures (contamination, adhesion, wear, lubrication)
- Optimize new product development
- Support quality control systems
- Validate new products and processes
- Support product claims.
By looking directly at the surface at a magnified level a much better picture of how any residual compounds / surface treatments interact with or affect other properties of the base material (chemically and physically) can be obtained.
Let our team be an extension of your internal capabilities in order to provide solutions. Here are just a few areas where our surface science team can provide answers to your questions:
- Coating characterization - uniformity, dispersion of API, composition, roughness
- 3D imaging of surface
- Surface finish, defect analysis, wear patterns
- Surface characterization - assessing the effect of treatments such as acids, lubricants, and wear
- Depth profiling - understanding the penetration of a chemical or treatment into a material
- Interface analysis - adhesion / interaction of a coating or laminate, and possible cause of failure
- Identifying and mapping of trace elements - identification and distribution of contaminant, corrosion products
- Porosity / void identification - possible cause of leakages in a material, or fracture initiation points
- Validation of cleaning processes - identification and quantification of detergents, lubricants and trace elements.
Surface Analysis Techniques
- XPS (X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
- Dynamic SIMS (Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- ToF-SIMS (Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- WLI (White Light Interferometry)
- SEM/EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive Analysis)
- 3DSEM (Three Dimensional Scanning Electron Microscopy)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction)
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Analysis)
- AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy)
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy)
- Raman Spectroscopy.